Some of these small parasites have been mutating and are now resistant to many over-the-counter medications.
The New York Times recently reported on 12-year-old Rory Staunton of New York, who died this year from sepsis. He died three days after being sent home from the emergency room with the diagnosis of a stomach bug and dehydration.
Rory got sick after falling in the school gym and reopening an old cut. His parents took him to see his pediatrician. He then went to the ER. He was released. But wound up back in the hospital. By then, it was too late. The story has resulted in a lot of online conversation about Rory’s death.