90.9 WBUR - Boston's NPR news station
Top Stories:
PLEDGE NOW
Here and Now with Robin Young
Public radio's live
midday news program
With sponsorship from
Mathworks - Accelerating the pace of engineering and science
Accelerating the pace
of engineering and science
Friday, November 4, 2011

With The NBA In Lockout, The Teams’ Neighbors Pay The Price

Caitlin Cassidy, a manager at the Harry Buffalo, sits at a table with the Quicken Loans Arena in the background, in Cleveland. (AP)

Caitlin Cassidy, a manager at the Harry Buffalo, sits at a table with the Quicken Loans Arena in the background, in Cleveland. (AP)

NBA games are canceled through November because of a lockout and that’s impacting more than just fans and players– cooks, waitresses and bartenders in cities with teams are finding their businesses are on hold.

In Cleveland, the fact that the Cavaliers haven’t played a game yet this season is hurting one of the mainstay sports bars.

The team brings thousands of fans into Cleveland and hundreds of them wind up at Harry Buffalo, a sports bar in the shadow of the Quicken Loans Arena where the Cavs play their home games. But with the games postponed Harry Buffalo needs only a fraction of the workers it normally would use.

Guest:

  • John Adams, Harry Buffalo operations manager

Please follow our community rules when engaging in comment discussion on this site.
  • Liam Doyle

    One more example of the 1% (owners/players) not caring what happens to the other 99%.

Robin and Jeremy

Robin Young and Jeremy Hobson host Here & Now, a live two-hour production of NPR and WBUR Boston.

July 21 Comment

Boxing Attracts More Than Would-Be Fighters

At the Ring Boxing Club, boxers range in age, are both men and women, and include an award-winning author.

July 21 Comment

Why Hot Cars Are So Deadly

An average of 38 kids die in a hot car every year in the U.S. We look at the science of why cars get so hot so fast, and why children are more vulnerable.

July 18 29 Comments

A Conversation With Immigrant Activist Jose Antonio Vargas

We sit down with the immigrant-rights activist, who has written extensively about the fact that he has been living illegally in the U.S. for years.

July 18 4 Comments

Will Israel Widen The War And Will Hamas Run Out of Rockets?

What will drive Israel's decision? What are the strategic calculations Hamas is making and how will it emerge from this conflict?