Deke Sharon performs on the Chinese edition of The Sing-Off in 2012. (Courtesy)
A cappella is as popular as ever, and who knows that better than Deke Sharon. He is the vocal producer for the a cappella competition TV show “The Sing-Off.” He also directed the live “Sing-Off” show which is currently touring the country.
Sharon is also the musical producer of “Pitch Perfect” and the upcoming “Pitch Perfect 2,” which star Anna Kendrick and center around college a cappella groups.
As Deke Sharon told Here & Now’s Robin Young, movie musicals and a cappella have experienced a renaissance because “so much in music now has become mechanized, there’s almost robotic tuning and lots of synthesizers,” so people respond to “the human voice and the connection that people feel when they hear someone singing from the heart.”
A Capella Groups Featured In This Segment
Voiceplay and Street Corner Symphony
Songs In This Segment
- Jessica Cornish, Lukasz Gottwald, Claude Kelly, Bobby Ray Simmons, Jr., “Bellas Finals: Price Tag” performed by The Barden Bellas (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Daft Punk, “Daft Punk” performed by Pentatonix
- Ryan Tedder, Brent Kutzle, Drew Brown, Zach Filkins, Eddie Fisher, “Love Runs Out” performed by the Exchange
- Hozier, “Take Me to Church” performed by The Melodores
- Ed Sheeran, “Don’t” performed by Voiceplay and Street Corner Symphony
- A. P. Carter, Luisa Gerstein, “Cups” performed by Anna Kendrick (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Khalil Walton, Khari Cain Bruno Mars ‘Pool Mashup: Just the Way You Are/Just a Dream” performed by The Barden Bellas (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Cole Porter, “We Open in Venice” performed by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr.
- Deke Sharon, vocal producer for “The Sing-Off” worldwide (U.S., Netherlands, China). He was arranger, on-site music director and vocal producer for Universal’s “Pitch Perfect” and “Pitch Perfect 2.” He tweets @dekesharon.