By: Emiko Tamagawa
When I was at the gym the other day one of my locker room buddies asked me for a book recommendation.
Off the top of my head I suggested Jess Walter’s “Beautiful Ruins” because of Robin’s recent conversation and because it’s such a fun read. But then several other really good books we’ve featured on the show over the years came to mind which she hadn’t heard about.
And the more I started thinking about it, the more books I remembered. So here’s a list, if you missed them when they were published you might want to check some of them out for your summer reading pleasure.
- “Beautiful Ruins,” Jess Walter
- “The Flight of Gemma Hardy,” Margot Livesy
- “The Cove,” Ron Rash
- “Maine,” J. Courtney Sullivan
- “The Starboard Sea,” Amber Dermont
- “Ten Thousand Saints,” Eleanor Henderson
- “Swamplandia!” Karen Russell
- “The Buddha in the Attic,” Julie Otsuka
- “The Cookbook Collector” Allegra Goodman
- “Elliot Allagash” Simon Rich
- “The Heights” Peter Hedges
- “The Emperor’s Children” Claire Messud
- “Labor Day” Joyce Maynard
- “Olive Kitteridge” Elizabeth Strout
- “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle” David Wrobleweski
- “The Lake Shore Limited” Sue Miller
- “A Good Fall” Ha Jin
- “Away” Amy Bloom
- “Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef” Gabrielle Hamilton
- “The Pun Also Rises: How the Humble Pun Revolutionized Language, Changed History, and Made Wordplay More Than Some Antics” John Pollack
- “At Home: A Short History of Private Life” Bill Bryson
- “Let’s Take the Long Way Home” Gail Caldwell
- “Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon’s Army and Other Diabolical Insects” Amy Stewart
- “Where’s My Wand: One Boy’s Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting” Eric Poole
- “This Life Is In Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres and a Family Undone” Melissa Coleman
What are your recommendations for summer reads? Leave them in the comments.