Jonah Nilsson sings for the Dirty Loops. (Facebook/Dirty Loops)
Though the groups Dirty Loops, Louis Cole and Genevieve Artadi, and Mister Barrington don’t have major recording label deals, their music is reaching fans far and wide through the Internet.
Dirty Loops’ covers of Adele and Justin Bieber songs have over a million hits each on YouTube, and the other two bands sell their recordings primarily through their web sites.
Longtime DJ Steven Cantor, of the cloudcast “Beats and Pieces in the Cloud,” tells Here & Now‘s Robin Young that all three bands are are made up of accomplished musicians who use a minimum of studio trickery to produce their sound and put their spin on popular music.
“It’s people really playing…and that energy comes through and gives it a freshness as well,” he said.
Steven Cantor’s Picks
- Justin Bieber, Christopher “Tricky” Stewart, Terius “The Dream” Nash, Christopher Bridges, Christina Millian “Baby” performed by Justin Bieber, Louis Cole and Genevieve Artadi, and Dirty Loops.
- Louis Cole and Genevieve Artadi “I Remember”
- Mister Barrington “Mister Barrington’s Daydream”
- Lady Gaga, Akon, Red One “Just Dance” performed by Dirty Loops
- Adele and Paul Epworth “Rolling in the Deep” performed by Dirty Loops.
- Steven Cantor, creator and producer of “Beats & Pieces in the Cloud”