Scientists detected the gravitational waves after a pair of unusual black holes collided.
You might think that in the age of mp3 players and digital music, old-fashioned mixtapes would have disappeared.
But this weekend, the ultra-hip South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas is putting the spotlight on the decades-old medium.
The San Francisco group holds events every weekend, where people share their mixes with a live audience, exchange them with others and vie for prizes.
Annie Lin, the society’s co-founder, said their events draw everyone from old school record collectors to young people who grew up on the Internet.
John Verrochi, another co-founder, said the events sparks some intense rivalries between different generations of mixtape enthusiasts.
“Whether they didn’t grow up with mixtapes at all… or whether they’re these old record store people who’ve been around forever, it’s always back and forth between who has the best mix,” Verrochi said.
There were a few song titles in the Booty Mix list that we couldn’t bear to print, though that is not a comment on the quality of the song! If you see a “…” that means Google it– but brace yourself first!
John Verrochi’s Personal Mix (Here and Now Mix)
1. I Might – Wilco
2. How Deep Is Your Love – The Rapture
3. Into Black – Blouse
4. Dinner – Blood Orange
5. Cool Cat – Queen
6. I’ll Try Anything Once – The Strokes
7. Birthday Suit – The Weeknd
8. Wildfire RMX (Feat. Little Dragon & Drake) – SBTRKT
9. Nasty – Nas
10. Gucci Gucci – Kreayshawn
Chicks Covering Dudes–Kelly Robinson’s list (Music Mix – CCD)
1. You’re Lost Little Girl – Siouxsie And The Banshees
2. It Ain’t Me Babe – Nancy Sinatra
3. Hot Burrito #1 – Belly
4. Gloria – Patti Smith
5. Hollow Hills – Faith and the Muse
6. Pennyroyal Tea – Kristin Hersh
7. Hang Down Your Head – Lucinda Williams
8. I Only Have Eyes For You – Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers
9. Helter Skelter – Dana Fuchs
10. Crimson & Clover – Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
11. Raining Blood – Tori Amos
12. No Surprises – Regina Spektor
13. Highway 61 Revisited – PJ Harvey
14. Candy Says – Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man
When I Lived There– Annie Lin’s list
1. Does Your Hometown Care? – Superchunk
2. Daysleeper – REM
3. Richard Nixon: 2 Under Par Off The Coast of Africa – Christian Kiefer
4. Kicking Stars – Annie Lin
5. Texas – Scout Niblett
6. London In February – Coastal
7. Wrecking Ball – Larry Lewis Moon
8. Getting Even With Austin – The Shy Trafficker
9. New York – Cat Power
10. 14th Street – Laura Cantrell
11. Are You Sensation – tigercity
12. Train – Son Volt
13. Brooklyn – Grand Hallway
14. A Lovestory – Thomas Dybdahl
15. Strangest Places – Abra Moore
16. San Francisco – scrabbel
17. Western Union Depeserate – Mary Lou Lord
18. San Francisco – Steve Tannen
19. When You Come Back To Me – World Party
Robin Young and Jeremy Hobson are hitting the road. Our Tumblr brings you behind the scenes of our election coverage.