There are a growing number of book apps for beginning and young adult readers to scroll through on tablet computers, but not a lot developed for the ‘tween crowd.
And while there’s debate about how much media is good for children, one librarian, whose school just got its first iPad, says that while she doesn’t think book apps will replace actual books for the youngest readers, they are a way into reading for reluctant ‘tweens.
Mary Ann Scheuer’s Favorite Apps For Kids
- “Magic School Bus: Oceans”
- “Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
- “Bobo Explores Light”
- “Nancy Drew Shadow Ranch”
Scheuer particularly likes the”Bobo Explores Light” and “Nancy Drew Shadow Ranch” book apps for 10 year-olds. Scheuer also recommends a create-your-own-animation app called Toontastic.
- Wired: To Protect Baby’s Brain, Turn Off TV
- Cybils: Children And Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary Awards
- Kirkus Reviews: Best Children’s Book iPad Apps
- School Library Journal: A Guide To Apps For Children And Teens
- Here & Now: ‘Tween Book Recommendations
- Mary Ann Scheuer, librarian at the Emerson Elementary School in Berkeley, CA, she writes the “Great Kid Books” blog