We hear a counterargument to our conversation earlier this week about how to accommodate transgender people in gyms.
By: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – For the first time, a Miami player is speaking out about the scandal that has rocked the Hurricanes’ football program and sparked an NCAA investigation.
“Know this for sure everyone hurts! We all feel pain!,” defensive back Brandon McGee posted on his Twitter page at 6:29 a.m. Thursday, about 90 minutes before the Hurricanes took the field for the first of two scheduled practices.
Miami resumed practice with coach Al Golden saying his team is recovering from the “shock” of the claims former booster Nevin Shapiro made in a Yahoo! Sports article this week. Shapiro, now serving 20 years in federal prison for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, said he provided Miami players with prostitutes, cars and other gifts over the past decade.
Two of the current players implicated in the Shapiro scandal – quarterback Jacory Harris and defensive back JoJo Nicholas – were not in uniform, for reasons that school officials said didn’t involve the investigation. Harris was on the field in shorts and a T-shirt, whistle dangling from his neck, serving as a player coach for the morning. Nicholas was tending to a family matter and was excused.
The school said Harris will be in full pads for Thursday afternoon’s practice, which is closed. Players and assistant coaches still have not been permitted to speak with reporters.
“If anything, it’s going to bring us closer together,” Golden said Thursday morning, when asked how his team is dealing with the distraction of the scandal and allegations. “Again, 90 percent of the guys have nothing to do with this as it happened in the past. For the most part, inside here, we’re moving forward.”
Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst was expected to release a statement on the situation later Thursday.
On Wednesday, NCAA president Mark Emmert released a statement saying if the allegations against Miami prove true, “fundamental change” in athletics may be necessary. The Miami scandal is one of many to hit college football in the last 18 months, joining messes at Southern California, Ohio State, Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and LSU – schools all either investigated or sanctioned by the NCAA.
“If the assertions are true, the alleged conduct at the University of Miami is an illustration of the need for serious and fundamental change in many critical aspects of college sports,” Emmert said.
Last week, Emmert led a group of university presidents – including Miami’s Donna Shalala – in drafting an outline for change in college sports.
Shalala said she was upset, disheartened and saddened by Shapiro’s allegations.
“We will vigorously pursue the truth, wherever that path may lead, and I have insisted upon complete, honest and transparent cooperation with the NCAA from our staff and students,” Shalala said in a statement.
Most cases are resolved in six to seven months, but more complex investigations take longer, an NCAA official said.
Shapiro began making his allegations about a year ago. He told Yahoo! Sports that 72 football players and other athletes at Miami received improper benefits from him in the past decade.
Yahoo! Sports published its story Tuesday, saying it spent 100 hours interviewing Shapiro over the span of 11 months and audited thousands of pages of financial and business records to examine his claims, some involving events nearly a decade ago. The NCAA’s four-year statute of limitations doesn’t apply when there is a pattern of willful violations that continues into the past four years.
The AP interviewed more than a dozen former Miami players, and their reactions ranged from denials of involvement to declining comment.