A Great American Songwriter Returns
Jimmy Webb is better known for the songs he’s written for other people to sing. Think Glen Campbell singing “By The Time I Get To Phoenix” or “Galveston,” but Webb is also a terrific singer himself. That’s clearly on display on his new CD “Just Across The River,” which features duets with Campbell, Linda Ronstadt and other artists who love his songwriting. Webb joins us for a trip through his great American songbook.
Taliban Attacks Rock Pakistan
The latest militant attack in Pakistan has left 17 dead, including 9 policemen, 4 adults and 4 children on their way to school this morning. Insurgents have carried out a series of attacks across the country even as flood waters recede. The deadliest have targeted religious minorities, but the commander of the Pakistani Taliban has vowed to attack the U.S. and Europe. We speak with the BBC’s Roland Buerk in Islamabad.
Lobster: Maine’s State Food
There aren’t many places in the country that are identified with a single food source. But Maine and lobster go hand in hand. Lobster is a huge part of the Maine economy and every summer millions of tourists head there to explore the rocky coastline and eat the famed Homarus Americanus, or Maine lobster. Here & Now’s resident chef and Maine resident Kathy Gunst traveled to the coast of her state to learn about the lobster industry, and shares some great cooking tips from lobstermen.
- Here & Now: Simple, Scrumptious Lobster Dishes
A Camp With Hope: Camp Jabberwocky
Camp Jabberwocky is one of the country’s oldest camps for people with disabilities, but their challenges don’t stop the campers, young and old, from kayaking, swimming and taking over the annual Fourth of July Parade on Martha’s Vineyard off of Massachusetts. We say goodbye to summer with a look at this extraordinary camp.
- Here & Now Slideshow: Camp Jabberwocky Independence Day Parade
Music From The Show
- “Up Up and Away” performed by The Fifth Dimension
- “By the Time I Get to Phoenix” performed by Glen Campbell
- “Adios” performed by Linda Ronstadt
- “5:30 Plane” performed by The Supremes
- “MacArthur Park” performed by Richard Harris
“Highwayman” performed by Jimmy Webb and Mark Knopfler
- “It Won’t Bring Her Back” performed by Jimmy Webb
- “Oklahoma Nights” performed by Jimmy Webb and Vince Gill
- “Wichita Lineman” performed by Jimmy Webb and Billy Joel
- “By the time I Get To Phoenix” performed by Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell
- “Galveston” performed by Jimmy Webb and Lucinda Williams
- “All I Know” performed by Jimmy Webb and Linda Ronstadt
- Charles Mingus, “Pedal Point Blues”
- Booka and the Flaming Geckos, “Barbed Wire Past”
- Talking Heads, “This Must Be the Place”
- Charlie Parker, “Summertime”