The Pros And Cons Of Renting And Buying
Part of the American Dream has long meant owning a home. But is renting a better idea? New York Times Business Columnist David Leonhardt has been crunching the numbers and speaks with us about when it makes more sense to buy or rent.
- Ranking U.S. Cities: Where is it best to rent?
- NYTimes Cost Calculator: Should you buy or rent?
- WBUR Series: The Depreciating American Dream
- Read: David Leonhardt’s article “The Case For $320,000 Kindergarten Teachers”
The Downside Of Air Conditioning
We’re in the peak of air conditioning season: In Denver today’s high is 98, in Phoenix it’s 106. But Stan Cox wants Americans to move away from air conditioning. He says its hurting our environment, our health and our neighborhoods. We speak with Cox, who is a senior researcher at the Land Institute, a firm that researches agricultural issues. He’s also author of “Losing Our Cool: Uncomfortable Truths About Our Air-Conditioned World.”
Obama Administration Deports Record Number Of Illegal Immigrants
A judge in Arizona has sided with the Obama Administration, blocking parts of the state’s new controversial immigration law. The law was scheduled to take effect tomorrow, Arizona officials are now scrambling to react to the new ruling. Meanwhile, while suing to stop the Arizona law, the Obama Administration has been aggressively deporting a record number of illegal immigrants– more than the Bush administration did– but it’s not being done through high-profile raids at factories that made headlines a few years ago.
It’s in part happening under the radar, because of little-known partnership programs between the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency and local police, such as “Secure Communities” and the 287(g) program, that enable local police to work with federal agents enforce immigration laws. We speak with Daniel Denvir, who’s written about the programs for Salon.com.
From Hanson To An Afghani-American Voice: Listeners Share Summer Music Picks
We recently asked listeners: What are you listening to this summer? The responses ran the gamut from 90′s boy band, Hanson, back and all grown up; to an Afghan-American woman with Sinéad O’Connor-like pipes; and John Cougar Mellencamp’s guitarist, Larry Crane, out on his own. Steve Almond, our resident music fanatic, joins us for the ride.
- Tell us what’s on your playlist for our next listener music segment
- Read: Steve Almond explores his addiction to music in his new book, “Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life”
Music From The Show
- Peter Dixon, “Nagog Woods”
- Moby, “Inside”
- Freddie Hubbard, “Little Sunflower”
- The Lickets, “Meat City”
- Joe Jackson, “Steppin’ Out”
- Talking Heads, “This Must Be the Place”
- Florence + The Machine, “Dog Days Are Over”
- Band of Horses, “Laredo”
- The Black Keys, “Everlasting Light”
- Hanson, “MMMBop”
- Hanson, “Thinking ‘Bout Somethin”
- Ariana Delawari, “Singwind”
- Ariana Delawari, “We Came Home”
- Blu Cantrell, “Hit ‘Em Up Style” performed by Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Larry Crane, “Tropical Depression”
- John Mellencamp, “Small Town”