9/11-Linked Passport Discovered in Pakistan
A German passport belonging to Said Bahaji was found this week in South Waziristan and has been linked to 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta. Both men lived as roommates in Hamburg, Germany. We learn more from James Gordon Meek, who covers national security for the New York Daily News.
Rosanne Cash and ‘The List’
The latest CD from Rosanne Cash features 12 songs from a list her father, the legendary Johnny Cash, gave her when she was 18 years old. The list included 100 songs Johnny Cash considered essential and thought his daughter should know. Rosanne Cash came to our studios to talk about her dad and her new record, “The List.”
The prolonged political uncertainty and security concerns in Afghanistan are taking a toll on the country’s economy. The BBC’s Charles Haviland reports from Kabul.
Biotech Companies and Health Care Reform
The health care legislation unveiled by House Democrats yesterday includes a provision that’s considered a victory for biotech companies. If passed, that provision would keep generic versions of biotech drugs off the market for 12 years – allowing biotech companies a period without competition. We speak with Karen Tumulty, senior political correspondent for Time Magazine, about the lobbying process that got this provision into the bill.
We take a moment to hear from listeners about our recent conversation with Nell Scovell, former writer for David Letterman, and also our interview with Max Blumenthal, author of “Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party.”
The Death of Edgar Allen Poe
All year long, there have been events to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of the master of the macabre, Edgar Allan Poe. We decided to look at the circumstances surrounding his death 160 years ago this month in Baltimore. Nate DiMeo, producer of The Memory Palace, brings us one version of Poe’s strange and tragic final days.
Music from the Show
- Rosanne Cash, “Motherless Children (Traditional)”
- Rosanne Cash, “Sea Of Heartbreak” written by Hal David and Paul Hampton
- Rosanne Cash, “Long Black Veil”, written by Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkin.
- Rosanne Cash, “Heartaches By The Number”, written by Harlan Howard.
- Rosanne Cash, “She’s Got You”, written by Hank Cochran.
- Rosanne Cash, “Girl from the North Country”, written by Bob Dylan.
- Rosanne Cash, “Bury Me Under The Weeping Willow”, written by A.P. Carter
- The Higher Burning Fire, “From Greenland to Alaska”
- Sonna, untitled track from album “The Eventual Bow.”
- Couch, “Heimweg 78”